Friday 24 April 2009

The Joy Of Six


This is another post that I've lifted from my old Yahoo blog. It was basically just 6 songs that I had heard on the radio in the past 48 hours. Hope you enjoy!!!
___________________________________________________________________
First up it's Canadian band Woodpigeon who've been compared to the likes of Fleet Foxes, Arcade Fire, Grizzly Bear and Belle + Sebastian. For me add in Simon and Gafunkel as well as a dash of Elliott Smith and you're not even halfway there. Just Listen for yourself and make up your own mind. One thing's for sure, you won't see a better song title this year.
Woodpigeon - In the Battle of Sun vs Curtains Sun Loses and We Sleep Until Noon
Speaking of Simon and Garfunkel I heard this track for the first time in years on the radio last night. Fits in quite well with the Woodpigeon track.
Simon_and_Garfunkel - The Only Living Boy In New York.
I know very little about the next artiste except that she is half English, half Finnish and appeared on Marc Riley's radio show last night playing some tracks including a live version of this track.
Mia_Vigar - I Wish You Rocked My World.
I've always liked David Bowie especialy his early stuff but this track was new to me until I started hearing it on the radio a few times recently. Originally released in 1965 this was the first release after Bowie changed his name from David Jones.
David_Bowie_and_the_Lower_Third - Can't Help Thinking About Me.
Another oldie now, this time from 1969. I said yesterday that I had missed the boat a bit with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs but that is nothing compared to Frank Zappa. I always imagined I would hate Zappa''s music. I don't really know why this would be as I'm a big fan of his friend Captain Beefheart and in the end that was the reason I started listening to Zappa. I heard this song on the radio and was sure it was a Beefheart track that I had never heard before. It turns out it was actually a Zappa track featuring the good old Captain. Here it is, all 9 minutes 16 seconds of it.
Frank_Zappa - Willie The Pimp.
Bang up to date for the last track. Released as a 7" single last month and clocking in at under 2 minutes long, the first few bars of this song sound like a cross between The Jesus and Mary Chain and Public Image Ltd before moving into an early Creation Records type sound. The more I hear this the more I love it. Yet another album for the 'To Buy' list.
Crystal_Stilts_-_Love_Is_A_Wave
__________________________________________________________________
Hope you enjoy some or all of these tracks, if you do please purchase something by the bands/artists involved.
Woodpigeon - Treasury Library Canada BUY_HERE
Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water BUY_HERE
Mia Vigar - True Adventures Happen Inside Your Head BUY_HERE
David Bowie and the Lower Third - Can't Help Thinking About Me BUY_HERE
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats BUY_HERE
Crystal Stilts - Love Is A Wave BUY_HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment