Wednesday 29 April 2009

The Jesus and Mary Chain : Upside Down


The release of The Jesus And Mary Chain's debut single was one of the most anticipated events in the music world for me even though I hadn't heard a single note from the band. The music papers of the day had been talking about this new Scottish band for months, reporting mainly about their short, violence filled gigs. Not since the early days of the Sex Pistols had a band been causing so much controversy. I remember buying the record in 'Listen' one Saturday in 1984 and couldn't wait to get home to find out what the 'buzz' was all about. I wasn't to be disappointed. Clocking in at just under 3 minutes, the song was so distorted and filled with feedback that I thought there was something wrong with the needle on my record player. Even today, Upside Down still sounds as good as the day I first heard it 25 years ago. The single which has the catalogue number CRE 012 was released in November 1984 and as with all Creation Records single releases at the time, came in a folded cover. The b-side Vegetable Man was a cover of a rare Pink floyd song from the Syd Barrett era.
________________________________________________________
Tracks:
01 Upside Down
02 Vegetable Man
-
________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment