Thursday 18 June 2009

Soul Family Sensation : I Don't Even Know If I Should Call You Baby


Around 1988/89 I decided it was time to leave the family nest and go my own way in the world. I managed to get the tenancy on a small council flat about 5 minutes from my parent's house. When you are younger you don't realise just how much it costs to have a place of your own and how much work you have to put into it. So for a few years money was in short demand which meant some changes to my lifestyle. I was never really one for clubbing although I did do more than my fair share of pubbing. That was the first thing that had to change but instead of going out less I started going out later. Usually a friend or two would come round and we would sit in my flat with a few beers, listening to music until it was pretty late at night at which point we would head into town for more beer. This wasn't a problem to be honest as we would be in good spirits as we got to the pubs having spent a few hours drinking and listening to good music at a fraction of the price the pubs were charging. The next thing to change and this was much more of a problem was the music. For years I had been spending most of my spare cash on records and now I was finding that there just wasn't as much spare cash to go round. I really couldn't do without my fix of new music so I really had to do something. And so instead of spare cash it was spare time I was spending hunting down vinyl gems (and plenty of dross) in market stalls, second hand record shops and the bargain bins of Woolworths and Wh Smith. I was pretty lucky if truth be told as at the time bands like Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Carter USM and Mega City 4 were all the rage, bands that I just couldn't take to. So my bargain hunting started to pay off and my tastes in music started to change quite a bit as well. Yesterday when I was over in my old home town I had a wee peek in the local Oxfam shop (I'm beginning get addicted to these charity shops all of a sudden) and saw an album by Soul Family Sensation. I don't know anything about the band but in my early 90's bargain hunting days I did buy their debut single from a market stall in town. Seems like my bargain hunting has come full circle.
---------------------------------------------------------------
1 Soul Family Sensation - I Don't Even Know If I Should Call You Baby (Original Edit)
2 Soul Family Sensation - I Don't Even Know If I Should Call You Baby (Marshall Jefferson Dance)
3 Soul Family Sensation - I Don't Even Know If I Should Call You Baby (Marshall Jefferson Symphony)
4 Soul Family Sensation - I Don't Even Know If I Should Call You Baby (Karen Carpenter Late Night Mix)
-

No comments:

Post a Comment