Friday 5 June 2009

Crass Records















I bought my first ever record in 1979 aged just 11 years old. The record was 'The Great Rock n Roll Swindle' by the Sex Pistols. Having been brought up in a large family, I had 5 older sisters and an older brother, I was always aware of music being played throughout my early years. Unlike some people who claim to have grown up listening to their parent's or older sibling's eclectic record collections the music I grew up listening to was provided by David Cassidy, The New Seekers, Bay City Rollers, The Osmonds and whatever pop was in the charts of the day. It was no surprise then that the Pistols would make such an immediate impact on me. It was probably the swearing that hooked me at first. I was only 11 years old remember and swearing was still generally frowned upon at the time. The music was compelling as well. This might not have been a classic Pistols single but it still sounded a lot more relevant to my young ears than any amount of tartan clad Scottish boy bands ever could. I didn't know at the time that the Pistols had by then split up and punk was virtually dead. Not that I would probably have cared anyway. I had 3 years of music to catch up on and I spent the next year and every penny I had buying every punk record I could find. I basically spent every avaliable moment I had searching through record shops, market stalls, jumble sales, anywhere I could find some precious vinyl. It wasn't long before the second wave of punk came along and I became as obsessed with those groups as much as I was with the Pistols and Clash etc. One day I heard some older guys talking about a new group called Crass and on a visit to Glasgow the next weekend I set about trying to find their records. I remember looking in the window of one city centre record shop and seeing Bloody Revolutions on the wall. I still remember the excitement and the disappointment to this day. Excited because I knew for sure that this new band existed and I loved the look of the records cover. Disappointed because it was a Sunday and at that time not many shops opened on that day. It wasn't long though before I got my hands on some Crass records and so began yet another obsession that would last me for the rest of my school days. The great thing about Crass and their record label was the price of the records. Every sleeve had the words 'Pay No More Than ...' Sometimes it was 75p other times even less. Usually the records came in a fold out sleeve with one side a giant poster and the other political writings and slogans. For someone my age, relying on pocket money to fund my obsession it was a dream come true. Here are 4 EPs released on Crass Records in 1981/1982.


-----------------------------------------


Flux Of Pink Indians - Neu Smell EP [1981]


01 Neu Smell


02 Tube Disasters


03 Poem


04 Sick Butches


05 Background Of Malfunction


-------------------------------


Rudimentary Peni - Farce EP [1982]


01 Sacrifice
02 Cosmetic Plague
03 Subdued Violence
04 Only Human
05 The Bile Ball
06 Farce
07 Bloody Jellies
08 Mice Race
09 Defined By Age
10 Zero Again
11 Bubble


----------


Conflict - The House That Man Built EP [1982]


01 Conflict
02 I've Had Enough
03 Wargames
04 Blind Attack


----------------


Anthrax - Capitalism Is Cannibalism EP [1982]


01 Capitalism Is Cannibalism
02 Violence Is Violence
03 Prime To Pension
04 All Things Bright And Beautiful


-----------------------------------



--------------


Thanks to : Phantasmagoria138

No comments:

Post a Comment