Monday 8 June 2009

Craaaashhh!!!

I suppose it had to happen sooner or later. I have been quite lucky with my computers so far. Apart from one or two little problems over the years I have managed to avoid any catastrophes. Until last weekend that is. Everything was fine when I switched off on Friday night. Certainly nothing to suggest the problems I was going to have the next morning. I had quite a busy weekend ahead. Cup final in the afternoon and then some planned time with the family so I wasn't planning on doing much work on the p.c. Just as well as come Saturday morning I booted up the system to read my e-mails etc but was only greeted with a blue screen filled with all sorts of mumbo jumbo. To be honest, I am hopeless when it comes to anything bar the basics of computing so this was way over my head. After trying to reboot a few times and trying one or two other 'tricks' that I've picked up along the way I gave up. Kick off time at the football was getting closer and apart from that I didn't have a clue what to do next. So after the football finished it was back home, hoping that the p.c. would somehow have fixed itself. Obviously these things don't work that way so I was greeted with the same blue screen displaying the same mumbo jumbo. Now I knew that the computer repair shop wouldn't be open again until Monday and even then it is quite a busy shop so I would probably have to wait nearly a week to get my system back in working order. So not wanting to wait that long I did what any sensible person would do. I tried to fix it myself!!! Well somehow I've managed to get it up and running. That's the good news. The bad news is, I've lost everything that was on my hard drive. Holiday photos. Gone!!! Over 100 folders of music. Gone!!! Videos. Gone!!! CVs and other letters and documents. Gone!!! Databases that I've spent months on. Gone!!! I've had to reinstall loads of programs that I didn't even know I had or needed. Even the simplest things like extracting a zip file can't be done without installing the program all over again. I'm pretty sure that over the next week or so I'll be constantly adding programs to get me back up to date. Buy even after all that I'm just happy that I'm up and running again. I really didn't know just how much I relied on this machine every single day. Some people say they couldn't do without their mobile phones. Others couldn't do without their car or television. For me nothing comes close to being without my p.c. for any length of time. One thing's for sure though, I won't be taking anything for granted and will be backing up EVERYTHING to disc :)
-------------------------------------
Kraftwerk - Computer World
------------------------------
1 Computer World
2 Pocket Calculator
3 Numbers
4 Computer World 2
5 Computer Love
6 Home Computer
7 It's More Fun To Compute
----------------------------------

4 comments:

  1. I feel your pain, that's happened to me a few times, I don't think there's anything more frustrating. Good luck in getting all your software re-installed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Peenko. Hopefully I'll remember to back everything up from now on :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ended up buying an external hard drive as i was gutted at losing my pics, might be a worthy investment

    ReplyDelete
  4. TBH I hadn't even thought of that. Will be worth thinking about. Thx

    ReplyDelete