Tuesday 9 June 2009

The Damned : Machine Gun Etiquette




Although I still play random tracks by The Damned every now and again it's been a number of years since I listen to any of their albums. I still have a few of their early releases in a big box of punk vinyl afely stored away in the loft but as yet I haven't got round to replacing them on CD. At the end of last week someone mentioned to me that the band were playing at the ABC in Glasgow last Saturday night. This has obviously stayed in my head as when my pc crashed on Saturday and the frustration was kicking in as I tried what little I know to get it up and running again, The Damned song 'Smash It Up' kept creeping into my thoughts. That seriously the way I felt as attempt after attempt failed to get me back into computer land. Fortunately I persevered until things were sorted with a few software discs rather than a hammer. So here's The Damned album that features the song 'Smash It Up'. Released in 1979 on
Chiswick Records Machine Gun Etiquette was the 3rd album released by the band. It featured 3 songs that were released as singles, Love Song, Smash It Up and I Just Can't Be Happy Today which was the first single I ever bought from a record shop. This version of the album, which was released on cd also features 3 cover versions, Ballroom Blitz (The Sweet), Looking At You (MC5) and White Rabbit (The Great Society/Jefferson Airplane). The band's line-up for this album was Dave Vanian (vocals), Captain Sensible (guitars, keyboards and vocals), Rat Scabies (drums, vocals) and Algy Ward (bass, vocals). Joe Strummer and Mick Jones of The Clash, who were recording at the same studios make an uncredited appearance on the title track while Lemmy of Motorhead plays bass on Ballroom Blitz. For tracklisting see cover image, above.
________________________________________________
DOWNLOAD
__________

No comments:

Post a Comment